Sunday, March 23, 2008
Local Co-op/Multiplayer A Thing Of The Past?
Remember back in the day when you could grab just about any video game and play with a friend from the comfort of your own couch? Those days aren't entirely gone, but they sure are becoming less and less. Now it seems like games on current gen consoles are either single player or ONLINE multiplayer only. After trying to find suitable games that me and my wife could play together this weekend we ended up trying to play some shooters. Not such a good idea. It wasn't her thing at all. She tried, but it was just too much. She's a casual gamer to say the least. It's not like we play games together all that much, but when the mood strikes it would be nice to have some local co-op games that aren't shooters. I'm not saying that there aren't any local co-op games, but there really aren't many. There's only so many times you can play SCENE IT before it gets boring.
Now I think I understand just why the Wii is selling like hotcakes. The Wii is a console that is a social experience. It's a console for people to play casual games. Being a hardcore gamer I'm really not interested in buying a Wii. At least I wasn't untill I put some thought into it. I'd be willing to shell out 250 bucks to play some local multiplayer games a couple times a month. I'm sure a Wii would only get about 10% or less of my gaming time, but when the mood strikes I'd like to be able to play some fun games with my wife and daughter. Nintendo obviously knew what they were doing when they created the Wii. Not everyone is a hardcore gamer. Actually a small percentage of gamers can be called hardcore. A very small percentage of people go out and buy 3-5 new release games per month like me or other people reading this.
A Wii could be in my family's future...if we can actually find one on a store shelf.
Hopefully Microsoft and Sony will start catering to people who want to play local co-op and multiplayer games. Not everyone wants to jump online and play with a bunch of people they don't know to get their multiplayer fix. Not that I'm saying I don't, but it would be nice to have the option of playing locally with friends and family.
Sidenote: I just now googled LOCAL MULTIPLAYER and it seems that other people are feeling what I feel. http://www.planetgauntlet.com/node/907
Check Out These Links
- ► 2009 (73)
- Decent Video Game Dry Spell Coming?
- Random Thoughts Re-Revisited The $5.98 EP
- My Top 5 Johnny Depp Performances
- John Cusack Rocks
- SERENITY NOW!!!
- NHL 08 Is Easily The Best NHL Game I've Played Yet...
- Local Co-op/Multiplayer A Thing Of The Past?
- Rainbow Six Vegas Is My Type Of Shooter
- Yet Another Reason Why My Woman Rules!
- 10 Things That Every Kid Growing Up In The 80's Ha...
- Do I Need To Go Back And Watch The Matrix?
- Favorite Cereals From The 80's
- Pacman, The Time Killer
- Two Top 20 Lists That Would Make Me Buy Rock Band
- Nagging Wives vs Gaming Husbands
- Will You Still Be Gaming When You're Old And Gray?...
- The Best Video Games For My Money
- Two Totally Different Games Both Fun For Different...
- Graphics & Gameplay
- Another Entry Of Random Thoughts
- Worst Games I've Played On The Xbox 360
- GameStop N' Go Because We Don't Have New Releases ...
- Ramblings Of A Gamer
- I'm A Loner Gamer
- Oh No Not A Gay Achievement!
- ▼ March (27)
- Kalamazoo, Michigan, United States
- I'm 38. I'm addicted to Xbox 360 gaming and Dallas Stars hockey. I make a decent living at a boring job where I run two autoclaves and do various other tasks. My escape from this boring as hell life is video games, hockey, and music. I generally listen to Metal music, but I also love 80's tunes as well as 70's tunes. I have an unusual love for the band Overkill. They do it for me for some reason. Blitz is GOD!