Saturday, June 7, 2008
The Best Books Ever
When I was in school I didn't really like to read. Let me correct what I just typed. When I was in school I didn't like reading what the teacher would have me read. I was always good at reading. I just found that all the stories that were in text books really sucked. The stories were just so crappy. I was usually bored to tears by all of the pathetic text book stories. It wasn't untill probably 4th grade that I really started to enjoy reading. I can remember a friend of mine reading this book that was a "Choose Your Own Adventure" book. He told me that as you went along in the story you actually got to pick what your character would do next. A book like this surely could not exist! Of course I had to see for myself. On my next trip to the library I snagged a CYOA book. I couldn't tell you which one, but I can tell you that I ended up reading every CYOA book that was in that library. I went to all kinds of different worlds and ended up dying often. As much as I hated dying or getting a bad ending I refused to cheat by looking forward to see which page had the best path. A lot of kids did this, but I felt like it was cheating yourself.
After doing some research I found that all of the CYOA books are being re-published.
I wasn't surprised to find out that the CYOA books have sold 250 million copies since 1979!
I may just have to go to the library and pick some of these up again, and maybe even introduce these to my daughter. As far as I know she hasn't ever checked any of these out at the library. These books are just one of the many reasons why it was good to grow up in the 80's.
Check Out These Links
- ► 2009 (73)
- Three New Games
- My Nephew Rocks!
- You Know You Grew Up In The 80's If...
- Vacation, Guitar Hero, and Games I Need To Check O...
- One Reason Why The 360 Will Win The Current Gen Wa...
- Bad Sequels Piss Me Off!
- George, Old Snake, & Brun
- Darth Vader Being A Smart Ass
- The Crappening
- A Game That Is So Bad That It's Good
- Phil's Famous Movie Reviews Blog
- Initial Thoughts On MGS4
- I got nothin'
- I Gotta Be Me
- So Much For Waiting To Buy Another Game
- Greg Miller FTW!!!
- Top 5 Most Underrated Xbox 360 Games That Every 36...
- The Greatest Music Duo Ever!
- Random Gibberish
- Thoughts On Some New Games
- The Best Books Ever
- One Of The Hottest Women Of The 80's Part 3
- Guess What Game Is Consuming My Gaming Life
- One Of The Hottest Women Of The 80's Part 2
- Why Do Most Movies Seem To Be Below Average These ...
- ▼ June (25)
- Kalamazoo, Michigan, United States
- I'm 38. I'm addicted to Xbox 360 gaming and Dallas Stars hockey. I make a decent living at a boring job where I run two autoclaves and do various other tasks. My escape from this boring as hell life is video games, hockey, and music. I generally listen to Metal music, but I also love 80's tunes as well as 70's tunes. I have an unusual love for the band Overkill. They do it for me for some reason. Blitz is GOD!