Saturday, April 5, 2008
First Wii Impressions
Getting off the couch and actually having to move to play a video game is kinda strange. The whole concept of the Wii is actually nothing new. Motion controls have been in arcades for years. Nintendo just took coin-op games out of the arcade and into your home at an affordable price. After playing Wii Sports tonight I can see why casual gamers are eating this console up. Face it there are more casual gamers out there than hardcore gamers. This console was made for casual gamers who just want to have fun with their friends and family.
My first impression of Wii Sports is that it was fun to play and interact with. I played alone for a while tonight. I asked my 13 year old daughter if she wanted to play, but she was on the computer and couldn't be bothered. The controls were quite responsive 98% of the time. I actually felt like I got a little exercise while playing boxing. Playing baseball was fun too. If I swung hard the bat on the screen swung hard. It was definitely more responsive than I thought it would be. With all of this being said I think this could all get old really fast. I can definitely see it being fun with family and friends though.
Wii Play also came bundled with my console. I played a few games, but was really unimpressed with it. It got low reviews scores as well. It came with an extra Wii remote and nunchuck, so that was a plus.
Super Mario Galaxy is kinda like I expected it to be, but better than I expected it to be. It's got some of the old elments of past Mario games, but a whole lot of new elements too. So far I'd have to say it deserves the high review scores it's received.
I still plan on picking up Super Smash Bros. Brawl, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, and possibly Resident Evil 4. RE4 is one of my all time favorite games. I finished it on the PS2 a while back, but it's so good I'd like to revisit it on the Wii.
Another reason I wanted the Wii besides being able to play some games with my family is the virtual console. There are some old Nintendo games as well as TurboGrafx games that I'd like to play again.
Check Out These Links
- ► 2009 (73)
- Top 5 One Hit Wonders Of 1986
- How 'Bout Those Stars...Oh And GTA 4
- No Time For A Real Blog Entry
- Could GTA4 Really Be THE Best Game Ever Created?
- Top 5 One Hit Wonders Of 1981
- I Wasn't Born With Enough Middle Fingers
- Top 5 One Hit Wonders Of 1980
- Top 5 One Hit Wonders Of 1985
- Metal Gear May Be Solid, But Konami Sure As Hell I...
- Dallas Stars Advance To Second Round! Duck Season ...
- New Store, New Games, & Hopefully A New Series
- Top 5 One Hit Wonders Of 1984
- Not So Deep Thoughts & Ramblings
- Top 5 One Hit Wonders Of 1983
- Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People
- Top 5 One Hit Wonders Of 1982
- Super Mario Galaxy & Dallas Stars Hockey
- Like It Or Not Sony Is Making Strides
- This, That, The Other, & Happy Birthday!
- Go Stars!
- I'm Anti I'm Anti-Social
- Finally A Great Multiplayer Experience On Xbox Liv...
- Top 10 Billy Idol Songs
- Great Weekend For Gaming
- First Wii Impressions
- Addressing My Last Blog Entry & More Random Though...
- Top 5 Things I Would Add To Make The Xbox 360 Bett...
- Wii 4 Mii
- ▼ April (28)
- Kalamazoo, Michigan, United States
- I'm 38. I'm addicted to Xbox 360 gaming and Dallas Stars hockey. I make a decent living at a boring job where I run two autoclaves and do various other tasks. My escape from this boring as hell life is video games, hockey, and music. I generally listen to Metal music, but I also love 80's tunes as well as 70's tunes. I have an unusual love for the band Overkill. They do it for me for some reason. Blitz is GOD!