Saturday, February 16, 2008
PS3 Outsells Xbox 360 For First Time
A while ago I made the prediction that eventually the PS3 would start outselling the 360. It has happened earlier than I thought it would. It's only one month, but it's a start for Sony. What are the reasons behind this? Maybe Xbox 360 owners are fed up with the dreaded "Three Red Lights". Maybe 360 owners also want a PS3. Maybe a lot of people waited for a price drop on the Sony and went out and bought the 40 GB sku for $399.00. Maybe people found out that HD DVD is dead and that Blu-Ray has won the war. I actually think that could be the real reason.
I expect even more sales of the PS3 this month. Sony didn't exactly destroy Microsoft in January, but they did beat them by 39,000 consoles last month according to the NPD numbers.
The downside for Sony is that they only had one game in the top ten as far as NPD sales figures go. That game is COD4. Microsoft only had 4 titles in the top ten. Nintendo had three Wii games and two for the DS. Nintendo continues to kick ass.
Who would have predicted that Nintendo would be outselling both Microsoft and Sony?
I sure wouldn't have.
THE NPD GROUP's JANUARY 2008 US GAME INDUSTRY SALES
Category / Total / Change
Video Games: $1.18 billion -6%
Video Games Hardware: $378 million -25%
Video Games Software: $550 million +11%
Video Game Accessories: $191 million -4%
Total Sales Per Week: $295 million +18%
Hardware Sales (in units sold)
PlayStation 3: 269,000
Nintendo DS: 251,000
PlayStation Portable: 230,000
Xbox 360: 230,000
Game Software (in units sold)
1) Call of Duty 4: Modern Combat (360, Activision) - 331,000
2) Wii Play with Wii Remote (Wii, Nintendo) - 298,000
3) Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (Wii, Activision) - 240,000
4) Rock Band (Xbox 360, MTV Games) - 184,000
5) Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (Xbox 360, Activision) - 183,000
6) Super Mario Galaxy (Wii, Nintendo) - 172,000
7) Burnout Paradise (Xbox 360, EA) - 144,000
8) Call of Duty 4: Modern Combat (PS3, Activision) - 140,000
9) Mario Party DS (DS, Nintendo) - 139,000
10) Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games (DS, Sega) - 133,000
Check Out These Links
- ► 2009 (73)
- Best Movie Sequels
- Arcades... My Second Home In The 80's
- Thanks To My Father...
- Games That Get Hyped
- Resident Evil Trilogy On Blu-Ray
- PSP Game Crazy
- Random Thoughts & Peeves
- Video Game & Robster Craws Podcast?
- They Don't Make 'Em Like That Anymore
- Certain Types Of Video Game Elements I Hate
- Gaming Habits
- Uncharted: Drakes Fortune Review
- PS3 Outsells Xbox 360 For First Time
- 13 Games I Can't Wait For
- Badasses In Hollywood A Thing Of The Past?
- It's never enough
- Forced To Simplify
- Podcast Spotlight
- Console Fanboys = Losers
- The Dark Side
- Game Demos
- Video Game Humor
- Video Games Are Not Just For Kids Anymore
- 2007 = Best Year For Gamers
- Clash Of The Titans In 2010?
- What do you mean you don't understand?
- ▼ February (26)
- Kalamazoo, Michigan, United States
- I'm 38. I'm addicted to Xbox 360 gaming and Dallas Stars hockey. I make a decent living at a boring job where I run two autoclaves and do various other tasks. My escape from this boring as hell life is video games, hockey, and music. I generally listen to Metal music, but I also love 80's tunes as well as 70's tunes. I have an unusual love for the band Overkill. They do it for me for some reason. Blitz is GOD!