Thursday, February 28, 2008

Arcades... My Second Home In The 80's


From about the age of 11-16 one of my favorite places to be was an arcade called Star World.
Me and a friend would bring 20 dollars a piece and get 40 dollars worth of tokens a piece. They always a deal where you'd get twice the tokens for the money. 4o dollars worth would last us quite a while. There were a few other arcades around, but Star World was the best. It was a really big arcade to boot. They always had all of the latest games.
The downside was that the place was usually packed beyond belief. You had to know the right times to go, so that you could get a lot of playing time in.

Playing games was obviously great fun, but there was also the social aspect of it. You could
hang out with people you knew and just have a great time talking about games and stuff that teens generally talk about. Hanging out at Star World was great fun, and some of the funnest times I can remember from the 80's.

I guess the only downside to great consoles is that you don't need arcades anymore. You can play
awesome games in the comfort of your own home sitting on your couch. Kids these days have no idea what the whole arcade experience was like in the 80's. That's a shame.

Here are the top 20 games that I played the most in the 80's in the arcade:

Dragons Lair
Punch-Out!
Spy Hunter (With the cockpit of course)
Food Fight
Tron
Dig Dug
Space Ace
Bump N' Jump
Ms Pac-Man
Kangaroo
Crazy Climber
Moon Patrol
Double Dragon
Pole Position
Paperboy
Root Beer Tapper (Yes, I know it was cheezy, but I was 11!)
Rampage
Jungle-Hunt
Joust
Zoo Keeper

I played a ton of games, but these were the ones I could remember the most. It seems like ages ago. Good times for sure.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Punch-Out
Spy Hunter (With the cockpit of course)
Food Fight
Tron
Dig Dug
Ms Pac-Man
Crazy Climber
Moon Patrol
Pole Position
Rampage
Joust


I dug those above, adding some others I liked

Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong jr.
Mario Brothers
Missile Command
Defender
Asteroids

Robert said...

I always sucked at Donkey Kong for some reason.

Mario Brothers was cool. I wish I had that on a console. I don't even know if it was ever released on any consoles.

I played Missle Command on the 2600. Like it a lot.

I also sucked at Defender and Zaxxon.

Asteroids I was decent at, but not great. At least not in the arcade.

Robert said...

Oh, also I'm glad to see that someone else remembers Food Fight! I loved that game.

Repro said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Repro said...

I had Mario Brothers on my pc for a while. I had tons of those old games. Marble Madness, all kinds. I deleted them. Not sure why. I might still be able to find the torrent with a google search.

It was fun to play moon patrol again, and Mario Brothers.

Robert said...

Last year I actually bought a knock off NES just to play Mario 3 again. I love that game.

Games I'm Playing:

Halo 3: ODST (Xbox 360)







About Me

My photo
Kalamazoo, Michigan, United States
I'm 38. I'm addicted to Xbox 360 gaming and Dallas Stars hockey. I make a decent living at a boring job where I run two autoclaves and do various other tasks. My escape from this boring as hell life is video games, hockey, and music. I generally listen to Metal music, but I also love 80's tunes as well as 70's tunes. I have an unusual love for the band Overkill. They do it for me for some reason. Blitz is GOD!

Total Pageviews