Sunday, February 15, 2009
Rat Skates: Born In The Basement
Shame on me for finally getting around to watching this fine piece of OVERKILL history. Man, what a great documentary! Usually when people think of Thrash Metal pioneers they always think Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax, and Megadeth. Just to be totally clear here, OVERKILL should be mentioned in the same breath. They were banging it out in the early days right along with Anthrax. As a matter of fact Danny Spitz was in OVERKILL before he was in Anthrax! People seem to either forget that or just plain never knew it.
"Rat Skates" paints a picture of fun and hard work in this documentary. He comes across as a super nice and intelligent guy. He isn't one of those bitter old Thrashers who acts as if the band he left behind owes him the world. With that being said the current OVERKILL lineup owes their existence to Rat Skates. This band was his and D.D. Verni's child. Mostly though it seems that it was Rat who put in the majority of the ass busting work creating elaborate stage sets, creating merchandise, creating the band's logo, booking gigs, and just plain making sure everything worked. It's really too bad that in the end he just realized that he wasn't cut out for touring. Being on the road just wasn't for him.
Obviously the band continued on without Rat, and thankfully so. Whether or not people want to acknowledge it OVERKILL were a huge part of the early 80's Thrash movement, and dare I say forefathers of Thrash Metal. Even if you're only mildly interested in Thrash Metal you really should watch this documentary. If anything just watch it to see some early live OVERKILL footage with the band wearing "scary" makeup as well as BLITZ wearing a cape! HaHa!
Check Out These Links
- Classic Album Of The Week
- Top 5 Peeves
- Great Idea For A Judas Priest Advil Commercial
- Did You See That Penis?
- What's Been Going On...
- Rat Skates: Born In The Basement
- F.E.A.R.2 Impressions, & Iron Maiden Is Owning Me ...
- Cause Of Death Reigns Supreme As My Second Classic...
- My First Classic Album Pick
- What I've Been Playing & Future Blog Ideas
- ▼ February (10)
- Kalamazoo, Michigan, United States
- I'm 38. I'm addicted to Xbox 360 gaming and Dallas Stars hockey. I make a decent living at a boring job where I run two autoclaves and do various other tasks. My escape from this boring as hell life is video games, hockey, and music. I generally listen to Metal music, but I also love 80's tunes as well as 70's tunes. I have an unusual love for the band Overkill. They do it for me for some reason. Blitz is GOD!